A Brief History of The Salings
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Saling like this:
SALING (Great), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles N W by W of Braintree r. station; dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1, 651 acres. Real property, £2, 605. Pop., 361. Houses, 72. S. Grove is the seat of Mrs. Fowke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150.* Patron, W. V. Fowke, Esq. The church was restored in 1865.